They Will Kill You Logo
WATCH: At Least 36 Dead and Hundreds Missing as Inferno Engulfs Hong Kong Highrise Complex
Disasters

WATCH: At Least 36 Dead and Hundreds Missing as Inferno Engulfs Hong Kong Highrise Complex

November 26, 2025

TAI PO, HONG KONG – A massive fire ripped through a densely populated housing complex in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Wednesday. The blaze has killed at least 36 people and left officials searching for nearly 300 others who are still reported missing. Chief Executive John Lee confirmed the devastating casualty numbers and noted that another 29 victims remain hospitalized with injuries.

The fire broke out mid-afternoon at the Wang Fuk housing complex in the suburban Tai Po district. It quickly escalated to a Level 5 alarm which is the highest severity rating used by the city. Emergency services struggled to contain the flames for hours until they finally brought the situation under control shortly past midnight.

A massive fire engulfs the Wang Fuk housing complex in Tai Po, Hong Kong, killing at least 36 people and leaving nearly 300 residents missing.

A City on Fire

Fire Department officials stated the blaze began on the external scaffolding of one of the towers. Strong winds fueled the flames and caused the fire to jump from the exterior into the apartments and eventually to nearby blocks. Video footage from the scene captured a terrifying sight as bright flames and heavy smoke poured out of windows across at least five different buildings as night fell.

First responders faced difficult conditions including falling debris and intense heat. Fire Services Department Director Andy Yeung told reporters that one firefighter died in the line of duty and another was treated for heat exhaustion. The department deployed 128 fire trucks and 57 ambulances to the chaotic scene.

The blaze, fueled by high winds and starting on external scaffolding, killed at least 36 people and left hundreds missing.

Desperate Escape

Panic spread through the complex as residents tried to flee. About 700 people have been evacuated to temporary shelters set up by district officials. Local council member Lo Hiu-fung told news outlets that many of those trapped inside were believed to be elderly residents unable to escape the fast-moving smoke and flames.

One resident identified only by his surname Wu expressed his heartbreak to local TV stations. He said he had given up thinking about his property and described the frustration of watching his home burn helplessly.

The Wang Fuk complex dates back to 1983 and houses about 4,800 people across eight blocks. The extensive use of bamboo scaffolding for renovation is common in Hong Kong, though safety concerns regarding the material have been raised by government officials earlier this year.

For more cases related to tragic highrise fires and major structural disasters, checkout our video here:

 
 
WATCH: At Least 36 Dead and Hundreds Missing as Inferno Engulfs Hong Kong Highrise Complex