Nerium Oleander – Toxic and Deadly Flower


Nerium Oleander is a poisonous, toxic flower that can kill you. This deadly plant is one of the most poisonous commonly found flowers in the world that will kill you.

Do you know what to do if you ingest oleander?

Oleander, also known as nerium, is a poisonous evergreen shrub known for its clusters of white, pink, or red flowers. Although it’s used as a decorative shrub in parks, schools, and backyards, it’s one of the most poisonous of commonly grown garden plants.

Where is it located?

Oleander’s origins are believed to be in southwest Asia, although this plant is so widely cultivated that no precise region of origin has been identified.

How will it kill you?

The nerium oleander contains two toxic chemicals: oleandrin and oleandrigenin. These are known as cardiac glycosides, which, while therapeutic in precise doses, can cause cardiac arrest if ingested unsystematically. It also causes significant effects on the nervous system with symptoms such as drowsiness, tremors or shaking of the muscles, seizures, collapse, and even coma that can lead to death.

How to survive:

Oleander poisoning always requires immediate medical care. Induced vomiting and stomach pumping are a couple protective measures used to reduce absorption of the toxic compounds. If these methods still prove unsuccessful, the antidote Digoxin Immune Fab is the best way to cure the poisoning.

Can you guess how many oleander-related deaths occurred from 1985 to 2005?

There were only 3 oleander-induced deaths in the 20-year span, although the Toxic Exposure Surveillance System (TESS) reports that there were 847 poisonings in 2002 alone in just the United States.

So what would you do if you ingested oleander?

details

Recent comments